About Psilocybin Mushrooms

Select section:

What can a bad experience on psilocybin mushrooms feel like?

It is not uncommon with psychedelic drugs for people to have a bad trip or experience. There are lots of factors that can influence whether you have a bad trip on psilocybin mushrooms such as how you are feeling mentally, who you are with and where you are.

While it is uncommon to overdose on mushrooms, in some cases, they can make people feel unwell, particularly if used in very high doses. It is also important to be aware of the signs and symptoms of mushroom poisoning in case you have taken a poisonous mushroom by accident.

If you …

Then …

Feel dizzy

Have headaches

Have stomach-aches

Have an unpleasant feeling that time is standing still

Have mood swings

Feel nauseous

Experience unpleasant hallucinations

Feel anxious

Feel panicked

Feel paranoid

Feel disoriented or confused

Have distressing thought patterns about yourself and the world

Try these things at home:

  • Focus on breathing – try taking slow, deep breaths.
  • If you are able, call and talk to somebody you trust and ask them to help keep you calm.
  • Do not take more psilocybin mushrooms, caffeine, alcohol or other drugs, as these can make you feel worse.
  • Move to somewhere quiet – try to sit or lie down and do something relaxing.
  • Drink water to stay hydrated.

Have severe nausea

Vomit

Have severe headaches

Have severe stomach-aches

Have severe anxiety

Experience disturbing hallucinations

Experience severe paranoia

Have intense emotions

Have intense low mood

Feel severely panicked or have a panic attack

Experience fear of dying or going crazy

Think of hurting yourself

Have violent thoughts

Call a doctor or Healthline (0800 611 116)

They can talk you through the next steps.

 

Have a high fever

Have difficulty breathing

Experience psychosis

Experience excessive fear of dying or going crazy

Harm yourself

Act violently

Lose consciousness

Have a seizure

If you have taken a poisonous mushroom, you may:

  • Be producing excessive saliva
  • Have severe stomach-aches
  • Have extreme weakness in your body
  • Have an irregular heartbeat
  • Have difficulty breathing
  • Experience severe vomiting
  • Have severe or bloody diarrhoea
  • Have a seizure
  • Lose consciousness
  • Become unresponsive       

Call 111

These are signs of an overdose or that you have ingested a poisonous mushroom. You or the people around you should act quickly.

If you experience unexpected or concerning effects from psilocybin you can notify High Alert to help keep others safe.

 A Reddit user talks about taking a high dose of mushrooms and having his experience quickly turn from good to bad:

“At around 1, they started kicking in and I felt good and was having a great time for the first hour, then I started to get a little overwhelmed and left the spot we had set up at near the beach and said, ‘I’m going for a walk I’ll be back in a little bit.’ To anyone who has been in this sort of scenario, you know that those words don’t usually end in a good way. I started to walk around, and I could feel myself starting to peak, I had no idea what I was doing, what I wanted to do, what I was or who I was, and the world around seemed to be falling apart. Keep in mind I was walking in a public trail and a lot of people were giving me dirty looks and were reasonably scared as I also couldn’t find my sunglasses and I can’t imagine how weird I looked.”

Related stories

Popping the bubble: Quick tips if you're choosing to use drugs in Level 2

It can be a bit weird adjusting back to life outside your bubble, so we’ve pulled togther a few key tips to help you out if you choose to use drugs.

Calling an ambulance during lockdown - advice from a paramedic

Wondering what happens if you need an ambulance during lockdown? Blake Murray from St John answers your questions.

Find another drug